A lot of people may have not even heard about Gambia. Sure, there are a lot of more popular tourist destinations in Africa. However, it would be a mistake to miss out on the wonders that this small nation surrounded by Senegal offers. Aside from the beauty of the place, there are different exciting things that one can do in Gambia. Some people may wonder what this rather small place can offer. But, when one knows where to look and what to look for, he or she can have exceptionally memorable moments in the place. Even if you arrive without planning like when I was there a few years ago you are in for a great time as people are exceptionally nice and friendly.
Explore Gambia: Places to go, Sights to see
No one can deny how Gambia has magnificent beaches. However, some parts of the beach are more popular for tourists. Aside from the beaches, there are also a lot of other sights to see in the place.
- Abuko Nature Reserve. This is Gambia’s first reserve which is now one of the six protected wildlife spots in the place. This place is great for birdwatchers and nature lovers in general because of its rich flora and fauna. It is the habitat of almost 300 bird species, four different primate species, and about fifty kinds of tropical trees.
- Bakau. This beach resort holds a number of guest houses and is the perfect picturesque beach fringed with palm trees with rocky cliffs where crystalline waters cover the sands completely during high tide. It is also a great place to shop where the village market offers different wood crafts, batiks, beads, and a lot of other souvenir items. Other places to see in Bakau are the botanical garden, the military camp barracks, and Bakau New Town where major concerts are usually held.
- Banjul City. There are a lot of must-see places in Gambia’s capital. The Albert Market is a popular place for shopping for local crafts, silver jewelry, shoes, vegetables, batiks, fruits, and different household goods. It is the best place for one to put his or her haggling skills to test. Other must-see sights are War Memorial and Fountain, MacCarthy Square, African Heritage Centre, and the National Museum.
- Bao Bolon Wetland Reserve. This is another haven for nature lovers. It is a protected reserve which is the home of egrets, goliath heron, osprey, collared pranticole, and the African Fish Eagle. This is why it is one of the most popular birdwatching spots in Gambia. It is also the habitat of clawless otter, West African Manatee, Sitatunga, Nile crocodile, and hippopotamus.
Conquer Gambia: Things to do
There are a lot of fun and exciting things to do in Gambia and the best thing about it is that each does not cost a lot, well, maybe except for shopping.
- Shopping Spree. Shop in the best places – Serrekunda, Royal Albert Market, Kololi, Fajara, Kotu, and Bakau.
- Picture Perfect. Take a lot of pictures and show the world the vivid colors of Gambia especially Bakau, Sanyang, Tanji, and Sanyang beach.
- Be productive. A lot of people attest to the miraculous Kachikally Sacred Crocodile Pool which people who are trying to have a child visit.
- Party. Party Gambia-style by watching traditional drumming and dance held by different beach resorts and hotels.
Believe it or not Gambia is one of the countries where flying is not particularly expensive. You can find cheap flights to Banjul from many cities within Europe and getting to your hotel will be relatively easy as there are plenty of cheap taxis.